Monday, July 6, 2009

Chocolate Cake

I got this recipe from Bettycrocker.com and I modified the recipe slightly to use cocoa powder instead of bakers squares. According to the cocoa box, 3 tablespoons of cocoa and 1 tablespoon of oil is equivalent to a 1 ounce baker's square of chocolate.

Cake Ingredients:
2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
12 Tbsp. cocoa powder
4 Tbsp. oil
2 eggs

Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
-I got this recipe from the back on the tollhouse cocoa container.
3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
2/3 cup Baking Cocoa
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
5 to 6 Tbsp. milk, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract


For the cake:




Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan, two 9-inch round cake pans, or three 8-inch round cake pans. In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).





Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, rounds 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool rectangle in pan on cooling rack. Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely.

For the frosting:
Beat 1 cup of powdered sugar, cocoa, butter, 2 tbsp. milk and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar and milk until smooth.
And here's the finished cake:
The cake tasted pretty good, not the best chocolate cake that I've had (as claimed by the recipe), but it's not the worst either. I'm not sure if I would make this cake again, I think I'll keep looking for a great chocolate cake recipe. I had fun making the cake and will have lots more fun making other chocolate cakes. I, however, think that the frosting tasted really good, but I needed to make a little more of it.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good, but more whipped cream please ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know a substitution for chocolate squares! It's been a while since I've had chocolate cake. I'll look forward to more recipes!

    ReplyDelete