Friday, July 17, 2009

Easy Red Velvet Cake

I thought that I had everything necessary to make red velvet cake in my pantry and refrigerator, but low and behold was missing one ingredient: buttermilk. I had regular milk in the refrigerator, but I could not find a recipe that called for regular milk. I wasn't going to drive to the store just to pick up buttermilk. So, I decided to keep searching the internet for red velvet cake recipes. I wasn't going to give up that easily. I wanted red velvet cake. So, after searching for another five or so minutes; I found a recipe that used prepackaged cake mix. I had a small box of cake mix and everything else the recipe called for, so I decided to make this recipe. The recipe called for a regular size box of cake mix, and the box I had was half the size. So, I cut the recipe in half, and made a single layer cake. Here are the ingredients needed for the recipe:

-white cake mix
-3 tbsp cocoa powder
-water (the amount stated on the cake mix box)
-1 tbsp oil + the amount of oil the box mix states
-egg whites (according to box mix)
-1 1/2 tsps. red food coloring
-cream cheese frosting (not pictured)

Directions:

1.Prepare the cake mix according to box directions. Add the food coloring and cocoa powder.
2. Pour the batter into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake according to cake mix package directions.
3. Once cooled I frosted the cake.
The cake was very delicious and easy to make. I would definitely make this cake again. I was very satisfied with my results.

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! I love red velvet cake. If you had heavy cream in the fridge you could have whisked it until the whipped cream turned into butter and the liquid that is left over is....buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete