Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mini Sour Cream Lemon Pound Cakes

This is a recipe that my mother taught me how to make. I have many memories of this cake growing up. I cut the recipe in half to make 6 mini bundt cakes. But the recipe can be doubled to make a full size bundt cake.

Ingredients:

2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs (separated)
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
yellow food coloring
no stick spray with flour

Glaze:
Powdered sugar
Milk
Food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour mini bundt cake pan or spray with no stick spray with flour.
Cream butter and sugar.

Mix in egg yolks. Then, gradually add flour while mixer is on low speed. Next, add sour cream.

In a separate bowl, whip egg whites to stiff peaks.

Fold beaten egg whites into the pound cake batter.
Mix in vanilla extract, lemon extract, and a few drops of yellow food coloring.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
I mixed a small amount of milk into powdered sugar, added a drop of yellow food coloring. I drizzled it over the pound cake.

6 comments:

  1. Looks super moist...I can almost taste it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I love the individual cakes. What kind of cake pan do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious. I love the drizzle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone for all the comments.

    To John: Yes, the cake is very moist, it's one of my favorite cakes.

    To Barbara Bakes: I used Baker's Secret Basics Nonstick Mini Fluted Tube Pan. Here's a link to Amazon.com, they sell the pan there: http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Secret-Basics-Nonstick-Fluted/dp/B00091PMLW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1246403547&sr=8-6

    To Megan: Thanks. I think the drizzle adds a nice finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lemon, any time, any how, any where. These look great and the drizzle is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake is off the chain. Thanks Megan

    ReplyDelete