Monday, June 22, 2009

Smothered Pork Chops, White Rice, Sweet Peas, and Cornbread

Today for dinner I made smothered pork chops, white rice, sweet peas, and cornbread.
For the pork chops:
1. I very lightly seasoned both sides of the pork chops with seasoning salt and pepper. I then coated each pork chop with seasoned flour. The flour was seasoned with seasoning salt and pepper.
2. I fried each pork chop in oil, until golden brown.
3. In a separate large pot, I sauteed a medium onion in a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
4. I transferred the fried pork chops into a large pot containing the satueed onions.
5. Add three cups of water over the pork chops. Season the water with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bring everything to a boil. Cook on medium heat for twenty minutes.
7. Mix two teaspoons of constarch into 1/4 cup of water. And add to the pot containing the pork chops to thicken the gravy.

For the sweet peas and rice:
Sweet peas:
1. I three pieces of salt pork or bacon and fry until golden brown; leaving a tablespoon of bacon grease.
2. Add two cans of undrained sweet peas. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bring to a boil. Add two teaspoons of constarch to 1/4 cup of water; mix well.
4.Stir cornstarch mixture into sweet peas.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Rice:
1. I cooked the rice in a rice cooker, according to directions on the bag.

Cornbread:
I made the cornbread according to the cornmeal mix directions. And added two tablespoons of sugar to the cornbread batter.

Lastly, I plated the food.

4 comments:

  1. that looks delish! im making this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GB--looks good! Several of my favorite things...cornbread...pork...rice...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone. Monica, let me know how things turned out.

    ReplyDelete